Board Meeting Minutes
Monday, July 12, 2021 at 6:30pm
Viola Fire Station Conference Room
Chairman Terry Theis called the monthly meeting of the Town of Liberty to order at 6:30pm on Monday, July 12, 2021 at the Viola Fire Station. Members present were Terry Theis, Sharon Engh, Adrian Amelse, Treasurer Heidi Stendel and Clerk Kendra Reynolds. Pledge of Allegiance was conducted by Chairman Terry Theis.
2. Read & approve minutes of 06/14/2021 meeting – Motion by Amelse/second by Engh to approve minutes of the previous meeting as read. All in favor. Motion carried.
3. Treasurer’s report – (see attached) – Stendel read the Treasurer's report. Beginning balance as of 6/1/21 is $23,372.13 with an ending cash balance as of 6/30/21 of $48,056.57. Interest earned year to date on the tax account is $38.60. There is $95,073.71 available in the tax account.
4. Patrolman's report – Vernon County has ATV signs available for $15/sign however posts will need to be purchased individually. Town of Liberty will need 12 signs total – Theis will check into options. The backhoe was returned from Titan after repairs and full service was completed. All town equipment is working well at this time.
5. Recycling Attendant report – no updates at this time.
6. First period for public comment- Kya Workowski is buying 10 acres of land from his parents on SS – he is looking for information on building permits for a pole shed. Theis will meet with Mr. Workowski on 7/14/21 at his property to acquire GPS readings. Mr. Workowski is also instructed to contact Ashley at Vernon County Zoning office prior to starting any work at the property – letter is to state that the property is not in the flood plain.
7. Town Announcements – DNR is sending out forestry notes – if you'd like to read them they are available. Wisconsin Towns Association Vernon County meeting and picnic is being held on July 29, 2021 @ 6:00pm at the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. There will be a drawing for one free registration for the annual WTA convention. $250 will also be given to the township with the best attendance June – September 2021. Vernon County has salt available for sale – Town of Liberty will need about 4 loads of salt in 2021-2022.
8. Discussion and possible action on changing October 2021 Town of Liberty board meeting date due to conflicts with WTA conference – October 11, 2021 (originally scheduled Town of Liberty board meeting) is during the WTA conference that Terry and Kendra will be attending. Motion by Amelse/ second by Engh to move October 2021 board meeting from Monday, October 11th to Wednesday, October 13th, 2021 at 6:30pm at the Viola Fire Station. All in favor. Motion carried.
9. Discussion and possible action regarding culvert and road work on Gore Hollow – End of culvert needs to be cleared out, concrete removed, trees removed (approved by property owners). Mr. Renish will be removing fence on his land. Work will be starting on 7/14/21.
10. Discussion and resolution regarding fences in regards to road right of way – Two town ordinances currently discuss road right of way and fences. Engh wrote letter for property owner and presented it to Town Chairman Theis. Theis requested that Engh rewrite letter with ordiance numbers and state statutes added as reference. Once letter is written, Engh will resend to Theis for approval.
11. Discussion and review of amended resolution– Board member absentee call-in's – Resolution amended to have absent board members contact Town Clerk instead of Town Chairman prior to board meetings. This change will align with the Open Meeting Law. Motion by Amelse/ second by Engh to amend absentee call-in ordinance with proposed change. All in favor. Motion carried.
12. Discussion and possible action regarding Town of Liberty Ordinances – Special meeting will be called to review town ordinances. No action will be taken on ordiances at that meeting but proposed changes will be brought back to upcoming board meetings to review. Some ordinances are outdated, some are redundant and/or unenforceable. There are also ordinances that the county has and will enforce. Ordinances will be prioritized. Special meeting will be held on July 28, 2021 @ 6:30pm at the Town of Liberty Town Hall.
13. Closed session per WI Stats 19.85 (1)(g) – conferring with legal counsel for the governmental body who is rendering oral or written advice concerning strategy to be adopted by the body with respect to litigation in which it is or is likely to become involved – James Allen ordinance fines – Motion by Amelse/ second by Engh to begin closed session at 7:25pm. Roll call vote all in favor. Motion carried.
14. Reconvene in open session with possible action on items discussed during closed session – Motion by Amelse/ second by Engh to reconvene in open session at 7:58pm. All in favor. Motion carried. No action taken.
15. Discussion and possible action on setting date for open book and Board of Review – Open Book set for Saturday, July 31st, 2021 at the Town of Liberty Town Hall from 0900-1100. Board of Review will be set up for August 16th, 2021 at 6:30pm at the Viola Fire Station. Once Open Book and Board of Review is completed a Special Meeting will be set to interview Assessors. Amelse requested to have a local assessor be hired if we decide to go with another Assessor for 2022 – Theis will obtain a list of Assessors from the state and will choose the closest Assessors to interview.
16. Action & approval on monthly bills – Motion by Engh/ second by Amelse to approve total bills of $16,274.60 as presented. All in favor. Motion carried.
17. Review/approval of building permits – no building permits at this time
18. Second period for public comment – Paul Linskens requested the recycling ordinance be updated to reflect the contract with Southwest Sanitation when time to update all ordinances.
19. Future agenda items – all future agenda items must be sent to the Town Clerk prior to meeting.
Motion by Amelse/ second by Engh to adjourn the meeting at 8:17pm. All in favor. Motion carried.