Board Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 10, 2021 at 6:30pm
Viola Fire Station Conference Room
Chairman Terry Theis called the monthly meeting of the Town of Liberty to order at 6:30pm on Monday, May 10, 2021 at the Viola Fire Station. Members present were Terry Theis, Sharon Engh, Treasurer Heidi Stendel and Clerk Kendra Reynolds. Adrian Amelse attended via phone. Pledge of Allegiance was conducted by Chairman Terry Theis.
2. Read & approve minutes of 04/12/2021 meeting – Motion by Amelse/second by Engh to approve the minutes of the previous meeting as read. All in favor. Motion carried.
3. Treasurer’s report – (report attached) Stendel read the Treasurer's report. Beginning cash balance as of 4/1/2021 was $31,807.71 with an ending cash balance as of 4/30/2021of $38,482.21. Interest earned year to date on the Tax account was $29.70. There is $110,080.28 available in the tax account.
4. Patrolman's report – Discussed bridge weight limits. Will post lighter weight limits on bridge to keep heavy trucks off until fixed. Truck repair planned for Fall 2021 – estimate presented to Chairman Terry Theis.
5. Recycling Attendant report – May 8th Spring Clean-up Day was successful – both 20 yd dumpsters were full.
6. First period for public comment – Discussed requesting records for information to send in for an EPA grant through Wisconsin Wetlands. Will add this agenda item to June 14, 2021 board meeting agenda for further discussion. Also, recent issues with Sheriff shining light at house late at night. Request to have town board contact Sheriff to request not shining late at night.
7. Town Announcements – Terry Theis will be attending a symposium on Wednesday, May 19, 2021 related to changes to the Department of Transportation. Wisconsin Towns Association (WTA) training will begin on Monday, May 10th, 2021 for all new board members. Next quarterly meeting for WTA is a picnic scheduled for June 24, 2021 starting at 6:00pm. Location TBD. Recommendation that all board members attend these meetings to hear about other towns, receive updates and hear from other speakers.
8. Our Oath of Office as a town board member and State of Wisconsin Open Meeting Law – all board members took their Oath of Office in April, 2021. Terry Theis reviewed the State Open Meeting law with the group. Requirement reviewed that town business is not discussed outside of town board meetings.
9. Town of Liberty Ordinances - All board members are to become familiar with all Town of Liberty ordinances. Will add to June 14, 2021 board meeting agenda for further discussion.
10. Discussion/update with possible action on Zoning Ordinance – no update at this time.
11. Private Property Rights and our Constitution – Carol Theis presented a request to have the Town of Liberty come up with a resolution in regards to the Constitution and private property rights (see attached proposed resolution). Will add this as an agenda item for June 14, 2021 board meeting for further discussion and possible action.
12. Discussion with possible action on bank loan for grader repair - Grader repair came back at $17,713.65. Motion by Engh/second by Amelse to obtain loan for $20,000 to cover the cost of the grader and over run cost. All in favor. Motion carried.
13. Discussion on fences in regards to road right of way – The town is responsible for open and safe passage on all roads. Concerns raised that on some town roads, current fence lines are within the road right of way of 66 feet unless otherwise presented (33 feet from center line on each side). When fences are replaced, it must be outside of the road right of way. No action at this time. Will add this topic for additional discussion and possible action at the June 14, 2021 board meeting.
14. Discussion with possible action on Assessor contract – Current Assessor, Martin Chapin's contract expired in 2020. Based on recent discussion between Martin and Adrian Amelse, Martin will work with the Town of Liberty for 2021. Terry will work on getting additional assessor quotes and will present to the board for approval of 2022 Assessor contract.
15. Discussion with possible action on Board of Review dates – Board of Review will meet to adjourn on Monday, June 7th , 2021 at 6:30pm at the Viola Fire Station.
16. Update on Town garage roof repairs – Screws on shop roof have been coated. Backside of shop roof may have possible rafter damage. Will need to assess if there's further damage. Orlin will keep Terry updated with any further issues of roof leaking.
17 & 18. Possible closed session per WI Stats 19.85 (1)(g) – conferring with legal counsel for the governmental body who is rendering oral or written advice concerning strategy to be adopted by the body with respect to litigation in which it is or is likely to become involved – James Allen ordinance fines – no closed session.
19. Discussion with possible action on dust control – due to the cost of purchasing PineTar and the need to store up to 8,000 gallons, the town will not be pursuing this option. Motion by Engh/second by Amelse to mount a tank on the truck and use calcium chloride with gravity fed for dust control. All in favor. Motion carried.
20. Action & approval on monthly bills – Motion by Engh/second by Theis to approve total bills of $5,190.13 as presented. Two in favor, one abstention. Motion carried. Amelse abstained as he was unable to view the invoices.
21. Review/approval of building permits – Two building permits requested: Briggson requesting for a new garage and Wealthi for a new deck. All documents in order and $50 paid by each. Motion by Engh/second by Amelse to approve building permits as presented. All in favor. Motion carried.
22. Second period for public comment – Orlin and Terry will be attending a truck show this week to see options for new town truck.
23. Future agenda items – EPA grant through Wisconsin Wetlands, Constitution and private property rights, fence lines and road right of way, board member absentee call-in's, liquor licenses for Viola Sportsman's Club and Liberty Bar, website design and maintenance, final Board of Review date, further discussion on Town of Liberty ordinances and Assessor Contract for 2022.
Motion by Amelse/second by Engh to adjourn the meeting at 8:25pm. All in favor. Motion carried.
Minutes submitted by: Kendra Reynolds, Town Clerk