TOWN OF LIBERTY
October 12, 2020
- Chairman Terry Theis called the monthly meeting of the Town of Liberty to order at 6:30 pm. on Monday, October 12, 2020 at the Viola Fire Station. Members present were Terry Theis, Nicole Rakobitsch, Adrian Amelse, Treasurer Karen Peterson and Clerk Lori Polhamus.
- Motion by Amelse/second by Rakobitsch to approve the minutes of the previous meeting as presented . All in favor. Motion carried.
- Treasurer’s report. (report attached) Peterson read the Treasurer’s report. Beginning cash balance as of 09/1/2020 was $48,644.72 and an ending cash balance as of 09/30/2020 of $44,560.45 was reported. Interest year to date on the General Fund was $32.10 and interest earned year to date on the Tax Account was $90.63. There is $61,441.38 available in the tax account.
- Patrolman's Report – Orlin delivered gravel to Mike Mueller and still needs to receive payment as he was not there. The tires on the backhoe are down to the threads and Terry approved the purchase of around $1000. The salt and gravel has been mixed for the winter. They will be working on the culvert on River Road this week and the hills will be bladed soon. The truck needs servicing in LaCrosse and a leak repaired along with new cutting edges put on the belly blade. Adrian stated that we need a no shining sign at the townline of Liberty and Kickapoo.
- Recycling Attendant Report – Paul was satisfied with the 40 yard dumpsters and there was not issues with not taking appliances.
- First Period for public comment – Jessica Anderson commented on the polling system and inquired how the absentee ballots were counted and feels a dropbox is needed at the town hall. She also offered to be a poll worker if needed. Polhamus explained the process for absentee ballots and how the election workers are trained as well as how observers are handled on Election Day.
- Town Announcements- we have a property for James Allen Trust that is in violation of the driveway and fire number ordinance as well as the building permit ordinance. A letter has been sent and fines are accumulating. The Vernon County annual tree sale is happening and Terry has info if interested.
- Discussion with possible action on 2021 Driftless Humane Society contract – there is a 1.56% increase in rates from last year to $812.48 but the contract has some errors that are being questioned. The board would like to know the number of dogs that have been recovered in Liberty for the last 2-3 years to possibly go to the per animal rate for 2021. This item will be brought back next month.
- Discussion with possible action on dust control options – We can get a spray unit that goes in the back of the truck with controls to inside the vehicle. 1200 gallons of material is needed for the initial application at about 400-500 gallons per mile of road. A 275 gallon tote is $3187.25 or it can be bought in 55 gallon drums. The portable sprayer is $6687.25. If we purchase a trailer they suggest they set it up with the proper controls. Motion by Amelse/second by Rakobitsch to authorize the purchase of the sprayer with the tote of Everclean product and a trailer to be retrofit. All in favor. Motion carried.
- Preliminary 2021 budget discussion, debt and capital planning – there will be turnout gear expense of $7100 for the fire department along with approximately $10,000 for the dust control items and a cost of about $5000-$6000 per year in material.
- Discussion with possible action on Zoning Ordinance - the next Zoning meeting is on October 28th at 7:00 pm and Nikki Swayne will be attending. Terry stated we also need to work on a citation ordinance for the enforcement of fines.
- Action & Approval on monthly bills – Motion by Amelse/second by Rakobitsch to approve total bills of $7686.50 as presented. All in favor. Motion carried.
- Review/approval of building permits – There is a shed that has been put up at Workowski's and a building at Gabe Williams shop that may need permits.
- Second period for public comment – Jessica Anderson requested a secure mailbox be added to the 2021 budget.
- Future agenda items – as discussed within these minutes.
Motion by Amelse/second by Rakobitsch to adjourn the meeting at 7:54 pm. All in favor. Motion carried.