TOWN OF LIBERTY
August 10, 2020
- Chairman Terry Theis called the monthly meeting of the Town of Liberty to order at 6:30 pm. on Monday, August 10, 2020 at the Viola Fire Station. Members present were Terry Theis, Nicole Rakobitsch, Adrian Amelse, Treasurer Karen Peterson and Clerk Lori Polhamus.
- Motion by Amelse/second by Rakobitsch to approve the minutes of the previous meeting as presented . All in favor. Motion carried.
- Treasurer’s report. (report attached) Peterson read the Treasurer’s report. Beginning cash balance as of 07/1/2020 was $29,376.47 and an ending cash balance as of 07/31/2020 of $42,031.54 was reported. Interest year to date on the General Fund was $25.54 and interest earned year to date on the Tax Account was $82.88. There is $61,433.63 available in the tax account after a $30,000 transfer in July.
- Patrolman's Report – Equipment has been working good with minor repairs to the mower lift cable. They have been hauling gravel to places the large truck can't spread. There is a box culvert on River Rd that has filled and needs repair, concrete work and ditch work. He will continue mowing with a boom mower coming in the last week of August for heavy brush and limbs. The sprayer is recommended to have a larger tank than 150-200 gallons and that a 500 gallon tank on a trailer or back of the truck would be more efficient. Signs have been ordered and York Road has been completed for the 2018 FEMA project. Amelse stated that some of our no shining signs were found in a ditch in La Crosse County and returned.
- Recycling Attendant Report – the extra yard dumpster is working great. We should consider what size dumpsters we want for the October cleanup day and recommends we not get a separate one for appliances but instead have people take them to the SW Sanitation transfer station. A forty yard dumpster is $695.95 and a twenty yard dumpster is $495.95. This will be added to the September agenda.
- First Period for public comment – Carol Theis submitted a letter of opinion regarding the use of aesthetic additions to the building and land ordinances.
- Town Announcements- The primary election is tomorrow. The truck show has been postponed until May 2021. The Southwest region of WI DOT is doing a preliminary study on Hwy 56 from Mahoney Road to County Hwy S in 2023. Amelse stated that the County has approved new voting machines to be purchased for the Town for next year. There were complaints on Gore Hollow regarding the gravel amounts and Orlin is adding from our stockpile.
- Discussion with possible action on variance request – Pam Inman – The variance is for replacing the old structure the same size over their well at S5975 Plainview Road. They are using the previous concrete slab which is 23 feet from the center of the road. They have also submitted their building permit. Motion by Amelse/second by Rakobitsch to approve the variance for the well structure at S5975 Plainview Road. All in favor. Motion carried.
- Discussion with possible action on survey for Gore Hollow Road project – Theis stated he does not have a surveyor currently so this will need to be tabled.
- Updates to Driveway permit ordinance with possible action – Terry stated that each structure that is lived in needs a fire number and so the fire numbering is being added to this ordinance. The board reviewed the changes and additions to the current ordinance. The $100 fee includes the $60.00 for the first sign. Any additional signs needed would be at $60.00 each. The final ordinance approval will be at the September meeting.
- Discussion with possible action on ATV ordinance - The Sheriff's office can enforce this on County and State roads but not on town roads because we do not have an ordinance prohibiting the use of ATVs. Amelse will follow up with the County on this and bring an update to the September meeting with a potential ordinance.
- Discussion with possible action on Zoning ordinance and survey from County Zoning Officer on possible Countywide Zoning – Nicole contacted Nikki Swayne and they will have an ordinance ready for next month's meeting that has been reviewed. The survey from Vernon County was reviewed and Nicole will submit the survey on behalf of the Town Board.
- Action & Approval on monthly bills – Motion by Rakobitsch/second by Amelse to approve total bills of $23,636.77 as presented. All in favor. Motion carried.
- Review/approval of building permits – Harvey Kulow was informed that he is okay to build.
- Second period for public comment – None
- Future agenda items – dust control and ATV ordinance as well as other items discussed within this meeting.
Motion by Amelse/second by Rakobitsch to adjourn the meeting at 8:07 pm. All in favor. Motion carried.
Minutes submitted by: Lori Polhamus, Town Clerk