Meeting Minutes, September 10, 2018


September 10, 2018

Chairman Terry Theis called the monthly meeting of the Town of Liberty to order at 6:00 pm. on Monday, September 10, 2018 at the Liberty Town Hall and proceeded with the Pledge of Allegiance. Members present were Terry Theis, Adrian Amelse, Treasurer Karen Peterson and Clerk, Lori Polhamus. Supervisor Nicole Rakobitsch was excused.

  1. Clerk read the minutes of the August 13, 2018 regular town meeting. Motion by Amelse/second by Theis to approve the minutes of the previous meeting as read. All in favor. Motion carried.
  2. Treasurer’s report. (report attached) Peterson read the Treasurer’s report. Beginning cash balance as of 08/1/18 was $16,748.09 and an ending cash balance as of 8/31/18 of $32,188.19 was reported. Interest year to date on the General Fund was $17.44 and interest earned year to date on the Tax Account was $74.67. Receipts include back personal property tax paid, August tax settlement from the County, gravel and permits. Amelse asked if we could check into the interest rates on the accounts.
  3. Town Announcements – Amelse stated he spoke with the County about people riding their ATVs on the County roads in Liberty when they shouldn't be and they will monitor more closely. The next Fire Board meeting is scheduled for 9/20/2018. Theis is attending Towns Association meeting in Mineral Point.
  4. Discussion/action on Vernon County Highway Hold Harmless Agreement– Amelse stated he spoke with the County attorney, Mike Leis and Phil Hewitt and the County is reworking the agreement and a new on will be coming so we do not need to sign this one.
  5. Discussion/action on electrical upgrades to Town buildings– this item is on hold due to the flooding because Vernon Electric is unable to come at this time.
  6. Discussion on Assessor contract/options for 2019with update on 2018 contract from Martin Chapin– Chapin stated we are close to 100% compliance on values with the State. Digital updates have been done on Market Drive but some photos are still needed. A re-evaluation is not needed per Chapin. He has been on every road, made the dates requested, carried insurance and had no complaints at Open Book or Board of Review. He submitted a proposal of $3400 per year for the 2019 and 2020 assessment years which would keep the rate the same as 2018. Amelse stated he would like to stay with Chapin for the new contract, however Theis was not ready to make a decision. Theis requested that Chapin provide the Board with documentation of what a person would see if they came to question their assessment at Open Book and what the online files look like. Chapin will provide the information to the Clerk and she will distribute for the next meeting. This item will be put on the October agenda.
  7. Discussion with possible action on repairs on Old 56 near Mueller property– Mueller addressed the Board and gave a history of the work done on his property since the 2016 flood. The additional culvert that was put in on Old 56 did not address the issues. They have installed sand dams which has helped but there are still issues. Mueller suggests that low water crossings be installed to mitigate and minimize the damages that keep occurring. Amelse stated there are four things happening at this area: There is runoff from Hwy 56, runoff coming down Old 56, runoff coming out of Mueller's driveway and runoff coming out of the gully. The Board will continue to look into options for this area and work with the Muellers.
  8. Update on road repairs from recent flooding and damage assessment– Orlin stated he turned in an estimate of $20,000 to the County for damages. Bigger culverts are needed on Old 56 and Gore Hollow by Theis's property and a new culvert is needed on River Road. We will need to hire a dump truck to haul rock as well.
  9. Discussion with possible action on equipment needed for ditch work on Willow Road– this item is no longer needed.
  10. Capital improvement plan discussion with possible project estimates– no update – tabled until the October meeting.
  11. Action & Approval on monthly billsMotion by Amelse/second by Theis to approve total bills of $12,551.78 as presented. All in favor. Motion carried.
  12. Review of building permits (if any)and approval for website update regarding tiny homes – Matt Hajzl – there were no permits. Hajzl read the tiny home statement that will be added to the website. Motion by Amelse/second by Theis to approve the additional statement on tiny homes. All in favor. Motion carried.
  13. Period for public comment– the website needs updating after the officer change. Hajzl stated that his mail has not been delivered because the road needs repair on the side by his mailbox and Orlin stated he is considering having the boxes put on the other side of the road. Orlin also asked the Board if we could have Amish work on the updates to the shop that are being considered.
  14. Future agenda items – none

Motion by Amelse/second by Theis to adjourn the meeting at 7:32 pm. All in favor. Motion carried.

Minutes submitted by: Lori Polhamus, Town Clerk